- Painter, it is better to be rich than poor; so learn how to make gold and precious stones come out of your brush.
- Don't be afraid of perfection: you'll never attain it!
- Begin by learning to draw and paint like the old masters. After that, you can do as you like; everyone will respect you.
- Don't throw to the dogs either your eye or your hand or your brain, for you will need them all if you are to be a painter.
- If you are one of those who believe that modern art has surpassed Vermeer and Raphael, don't read this book, just go right on in your blissful idiocy.
- Don't vomit on your picture, because it is the picture which can vomit on you after you are dead.
- No lazy masterpieces!
- Painter, paint!
- Painter, don't drink alcohol, and chew hashish only five times in your life.
- If painting doesn't love you, all your love for her will be unavailing.
from 50 Secrets of Magic Craftsmanship by Salvador Dalí